Thursday, March 4, 2010

Keeping warm(er)

I have also been knitting a lot lately. The proof.
As I mentioned I also cast on for an Odessa Hat with a Bamboo Wool bend from Moda Dea in Chili Pepper Red. It is the first time I have knit with beads and I really like it. The hat fits well and keeps my head warm with out being itchy.

On it's first trip out of the house on my head it got a compliment from the lady behind me in the checkout line. She asked where I bought it. When I told her I made it her eyes popped out of her head and she said it was beautiful. I don't know about beautiful, of course there are mistakes, but I sure do like it.
{My Ravelry project}

I was also able to finish my French Press Slippers for the Ravelympics. For the first thing I made to be felted it's not too bad. I made the seams too bulky which made the toes a bit bumpy, but they work just the same. They are cute, pretty easy to knit and warm.
{Gigantic pre-felted slippers}
The felting was a trip. Your supposed to use your washing machine with the hottest water possible. Our hottest water is quite chilly since we don't have the washer connected to the water heater. I boiled pots of water on the stove, dumped them into a 5 gallon bucket and hauled it to the washer. I also learned that if you turn off the water line to the washer it won't start agitating no matter where you set the dial. I had to add a small load of cold water to get it going but it didn't seem to hurt the felting process.
{Slippers in action}


I used a pair of fabric covered buttons I received last year in a swap package from Erika. I was waiting for just the right project for the buttons and these slippers are it. I wear them all day everyday when I am home. This pattern will definitely be knit again. =]

2 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love those slippers. Oh man, another thing on my to do list :) I never heard of a washer not hooked to the water heater....

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've been wanting to make the French Press Slippers too. Your buttons are fab!