Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I say she's a Swap Mama

Swaps are risky by nature. You may get what you always wanted but never knew it or you could get a great handmade creation that's well made, but just not you. It's a 50/50 chance at best.

I love swapping, yet I am often hesitant to sign up. I am usually a quick decision kind of girl. Swaps are one thing that slow me down. Not only am I thoughtful of the fact that the person on the other end is only going by what they read from this little blog and from my lame attempts at describing my likes and dislikes, but I am always worried that, going off of similarly little information, my creations for them are OK, but not blow-her-away spot on.

With the latest installment of the BTRSswap I definitely came out on the plus side of that 50/50 risk. (Please excuse the crappy cell phone pictures. I usually borrow my guy's camera, but he's got it and I am impatient.)

My make-it-for-me partner Erika of Inspired Mama Musings sent me the best swap package I have received. In this round swappers made the Charming Handbag from Amy Karol's Bend-the-Rules Sewing. Erika paired an awesome chocolate brown background and bright flowers fabric with a bright stripe fabric for the lining and handles. This bag is very me. It's already backed full of my daily necessities.

Along with the Charming Handbag, Erika made some matching fabric covered buttons that I already plan to use with the Full Contact Apron from Anna Maria Horner's Seams to Me, two super cute fabric covered hair pins, several custom made tags and a rockin' fabric covered ring.

Also tucked in my new bag were these handmade tags, which I don't know if I will be able to use because that would mean they wouldn't be mine anymore.


Uncharacteristic of me, I actually have started and finished the bag I am making for my partner. I am including a few little goodies and am half way through knitting a little dish washing cloth to go along with the package. Hopefully I will finish up the knitting tonight and send the package off tomorrow.



Jeffery T. was very helpful during the sewing of the bag. He likes to help me press the fabric (aka laying all over it while I am trying to trace/cut/line up pieces). He did get a little bored of me shooing him off the fabric and amused himself by trying to measure his own head. This is difficult to do with a metal yardstick. He kept saying, "Mama, how big is my head?" or "See, Mama, my head isn't as big as you thought."


No, T, 5-1/2" inches is not too big for a cat head.


=]

1 comment:

erika~ the inspired mama said...

i am so, SO happy that you love the bag and the other goodies!! i was really hoping that the flower print wasn't too frilly- i loved that print so much that i went back and bought another yard for myself! :)

xo,
erika