Monday, May 11, 2009

Seams To Me Swap ~ My part

{Seams to Me in Springy Style}

A few weeks ago I sent out my end of Tracey's We the People Swap: Seams to Me edition. When we signed up for the swap we got to choose which of Anna Maria Horner's Seams to Me projects we would like to receive in the swap. One of my partner's choices was the Taxi Tote. She gave spring and summer, the beach and funky fabrics as inspiration. I used a thrifted sheet and some coordinating fabrics from my stash to make her tote. Mine hasn't arrived, yet, but soon I hope.
{Seams to Me Taxi Tote Front}
For the button closure I had to extend the fabric loop a lot. When I followed the instructions the loop was way too short to fit under the binding and around the button. I ripped out the seam there and doubled the loop. I used two stacked buttons, one cloudy white and one teal, for the front closure.
{The back}

The colors and watercolor like floral print struck me as nice and springy. I used a solid sea foam green for the lining and a soft yellow for the binding.

{Room for snacks, toys, keys, a book, a notepad,
knitting needles and a little take along project}

The interfacing is iron-in and pretty stiff. The bag has nice structure and is roomy enough for everything a girl needs and lots of stuff for her young son, too.

{A flattering side shot}

The pattern was great and really easy to follow, as was the other project I made from the book. Immediately after finishing a project like this, I always try it out. While modeling in front of the mirror I decided that when I make one for myself I will extend the strap a bit and make it more of a sling style. I've got a lot of this fabric left over and even though I am not usually crazy about florals, I do quite like this print.

Speaking of thrifted sheets I think I am finished gathering the necessary fabrics for my month in Snip.Sew.Send. No photos yet, I want to wait to post on the bee blog. I found a great, colorful fitted sheet and pillowcase set at Goodwill yesterday. I also grabbed a queen size white flat sheet and what I thought was a king size white flat sheet that turned out to be a king size white duvet cover. Yea! Twice the fabric for half the price. Next weekend I plan to dye the white sheets with coordinating colors since I can't find just what I am looking for. I am unnaturally excited to do this. I am sure it will be a mess, even if I decide to follow the instructions. Wish me luck!

=]

No comments: