Monday, February 2, 2009

Like I Said

Defense wins championships! (And a little bit of offensive muscle never hurt either!)

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers!
=]


P.S. Dear Pittsburgh Steelers,

I am so proud of you! You made it through an incredibly tough regular season, battled through the playoffs and earned your way to Super Bowl XLIII. And what a game it was!

James Harrison rumbling down the entire length of the field to score a touchdown with no time left in the first half. Then falling out in the end zone to catch his breath. Ben Roethlisberger connecting with Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes to move the chains down the field. Fast Willie Parker and Gary Russell battling for running yards. My boy Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor causing havoc in the secondary for Arizona's receivers. James Woodley putting a hurting on Kurt Warner. Coaches Tomlin, LeBeau and Airen weaving together a spectacular plan. I loved every minute.
But then the Cardinals scored a touchdown. Then a safety. Then another touchdown. If you were trying to give Steeler Nation a heart attack, it worked. Down by 3 with less than four minutes on the clock. I still had faith in you. That's along time on a football field. My heart may have been racing and trying to pound through my ribs, but I had faith.
When I saw Roethlisberger eye-balling Holmes, I knew things were brewing. Down in their own "Gold Zone" nothing would stop the Steelers from scoring. Holmes and Roethlisberger barely missed the connection in the back left corner of the end zone. The offense set up again, and in magical Holmes-Roethlisberger fashion the pass as tight to a boundary line, a little high to keep the ball away from the defense and the play was perfectly executed with outstretched arms and toes dragging in the end zone making the Pittsburgh Steelers the first NFL team to win six championships!
I have one request, if I may. No more heart attacks for Steeler Nation. Our poor bodies can't take that again!
Your beloved fan,
Hermione J. Schwartz =]

No comments: