Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I am a proficent frogger

For the last two weeks I have been trying to knit my first pair of socks. More specifically, the first of the pair of socks. So far I have cast on 6 times. I had to frog 5 times so far. Hrmph!

It is the first time I am starting a piece with double pointed needles (which I got for my birthday...thanks Mom and Dad!) and starting the round was a little tricky. Starting the round shouldn't have been that difficult, I think I was over thinking it. Frog 1...

Then I really messed up the K2, P2 rib. I think I dropped some stitches off the end of the needles and didn't realize it. Frog 2...

Cast on number 3 didn't have a long enough tail. Frog 3...

The fourth time I cast on I thought I really had it started well. I got about 4 or 5 rounds finished before I purled 4 instead of 2. I tried to slip off the last two purl stitches, but dropped one and couldn't get it back up on the needles. I am using US size 2, which are the smallest needles I have used so far. I tried to save it with a toothpick, but it didn't work. Frog 4...

With cast on 5 I got about two rounds done before I a couple stitches slipped off a needle. I wasn't far so...frog 5...

Last night my guy went to bed early so I sat down to cast on, again. So far, so good. Granted, I am only about 2 rounds in, but, knock on wood, it's going smoothly.

Meghan (of Stitch It!! Podcast and ItsJustMeghan) recommended using Silver's Sock Class tutorial since this is my first pair of socks. Silver set up a phenomenal website for the sock tutorial. I read through all of it, so I could be prepared. I really appreciate the photos. Very helpful. I am using Patrons Silk Bamboo yarn in Coal. I love the feel of the yarn sliding through my fingers while knitting.

Did I mention the socks are for my guy? Well, they are, so they have to be knit well.

I have had a little knitting success lately. After the first fiasco of the Dumb Donald Hat, I made sure to swatch and check gauge before knitting the Brother in Law Basket-Weave hat designed by Kody May Knits which I found in a search on Ravelry.

This knit up pretty quickly, even for a beginner like me and I really like the pattern. The weather is finally winter-like so I've gotten the opportunity to wear it all week. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Blue Heather.

After I finish a few UFOs (socks, Swiffer pads, bathroom mat are all in the works...) I want to start a Steelers beanie for me. The beanie will be fairly simple, but I want to try to add in the Steelers logo if I can. Maybe just the steel diamonds...we'll see. I'm also thinking of making the "I'll have one of everything bag" from Anna Maria Horner's book Seams to Me in a Steelers colors, too. That bag is amazing and I need just the right fabrics so I can get a lot of use out of it.

And good luck to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC championship game today. We'll be watching while eating the lucky chicken wings.
GO STEELERS!
=]

No comments: