Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The history of our holiday cards

For the past four years I’ve made our Christmas cards. We have had a lot of pets that make up our family. They just had to be part of the card and commercially available cards just didn’t cut it anymore. Getting the pictures to use on the card was going to be a challenge. At one point I would have had to get seven dogs, two cats, two fish and the two of us together, still and looking at the camera all at the same time. Never, EVER possible.

So I figured I’d set up individual photo shoots and arrange the photos on a card, make it cute, print and send. I’ve even e-mailed them to friends and family overseas (or when I can’t stop adjusting them and it’s Christmas Eve…)

All it took was one photo shoot and I was hooked. Photo shoots are the best part of the Christmas card making process. I love taking pictures of the animals. They can be such hams…

Sometimes they can’t help showing me how much they love photo shoots, too…




And sometimes we…



just…


give…



up.

Then, magically all the good mojo karma vibes align and I can get great pictures like these…

Unfortunately I can’t locate the cards from 2004 or 2005. I think I made them on an old computer whose hard drive went kaput. Trust me they were super cool. Here are some shots from photo shoot 2004:

YEA! My mama found her old cards and I was able to scan them! The photo quality is not great, but they are still cute.

The headline read “North Pole Security Systems.” Loved it.

2005 rocked, too. That year I made it look like everyone was making snowmen. They dogs either had scarves, hats or sticks in their mouth. I even got a shot of one of the dogs sniffing the ground and I arranged it to look like she was rolling the bottom ball. So cute.

In 2006 the pets were offering their talents and services to earn some pocket change…

Moose was a master scheduler. :)


Last year we went old school with matching dresses, sweater vests and bowties. I made the girls’ dress myself. It’s the smock from Bend-the-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol (angry chicken). It’s just plain red quilter’s cotton trimmed with white bias tape. I also made the cats’ bowtie from left over fabric from the dress.

This year’s card is still under construction and top secret, but I’ll share closer to Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

=]

No comments: