Monday, August 3, 2009

Utterly Inspired

This weekend I was able to visit a local museum displaying an exhibit of Gee's Bend Quilts. All I can say is those ladies are amazing. Overcoming so much adversity and forever humble. A looping video of some of the quilters played in the back corner and could be heard throughout the gallery. So many of them had wonderful senses of humor.

{Gee's Bend Quilts Exhibit}



The quilts were quite amazing. This picture was snapped with a cell phone and I really debated whether or not to post it. It doesn't even come close to capturing the colors in the quilts. If you ever get a chance to see these quilts in person, go. Don't hesitate, just go.

Some of the other visitors would point out fabrics in some of the older quilts and say things like "My daughter had a dress with that fabric" or, "I have an apron with that print." Even one of the younger (my age-ish) ladies said that she remembered a lot of clothes and bed sheets she had with fabrics used in the quilts. I just love that the quilters happily grabbed up every stitch of fabric to make the quilts. And they are big! I would guess queen sized and larger. It was quite inspiring.

In semi-related quilting news, I am participating in another quilting bee. She is still looking for 7 members. If you know of anyone looking for a bee send them here.

1 comment:

SewAmy said...

I would love to see the Gee's Bend Exhibit one day. Hoping over the the link for the quilting bee to check it out.