Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Classics - 8 tracks to mp3s

I love Christmas music. I won't let myself listen to it until the day after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and retailers are pushing it to the side for Christmas more and more every year and I don't appreciate it.


Growing up I was in school Christmas plays and pageants and loved every minute of it. We'd start practicing the songs in music class and belt them out on stage as loud as we could. I was in my church choir during the holidays, too. They only let the kids sing during the holidays and I always looked forward to it. One year I was super sick with a nasty cold, but begged my mom to let me go to mass to sing anyway. I ended up falling asleep on stage leaning up against the organ. The organist did a good job of waking me up in time for my triangle duo during "The Little Drummer Boy." Oh yeah, I rocked that triangle. Ding...ding...

Why the triangle and not a vocal spot? I can't sing worth a lick! I'm not tone deaf because I know I am off key. I just don't know how to get on key. That never stopped me though. It still doesn't. I'll let the spirit of the season roll through me regardless...bleeding ears and all. ;]




My all time favorite Christmas album is The Beach Boys' Christmas Album. We had this on 8 track, on cassette, on CD and now I have the mp3s. I would bet my parents bought the record new in 1964. It is just a really happy, dance your socks off, sing it out loud album. Here is the playlist:


1. Little Saint Nick
2. Man With All the Toys
3. Santa's Beard
4. Merry Christmas, Baby
5. Christmas Day
6. Frosty the Snowman
7. We Three Kings of Orient Are
8. Blue Christmas
9. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
10. White Christmas
11. I'll Be Home for Christmas
12. Auld Lang Syne


I can't decide if Man with All the Toys or Santa's Beard is my favorite. It's a total toss up. My mom and I would always put it on repeat during our cookie baking fests. My dad even played it in July when he painted the living room. He said it made him feel cooler and he would sweat less. Sure, pops!





My "new classic" favorite Christmas album is Barenaked for the Holidays by Barenaked Ladies (hands down my favorite band). This album has great versions of the classic classics like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen with Sarah McLachlan and awesome new songs like Elf's Lament with Michael Buble. You can see the playlist on the right side of the album cover, if it's not too small. Again, great music to do holiday stuff with...bake, wrap, shop, decorate...not that I've done any of that yet.

If you are looking for some last-minute gifts I highly recommend both these albums. They'll make wonderful and appreciated stocking stuffers and gift swap presents. Listen and let me know what you think!

Happy Holidays! =]

No comments: